Cauliflower Soup with Apple Chutney
- Soups & Stews
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 onion, coarse chop
- 3 garlic cloves, halved
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon curry paste
- apple chutney (recipe follows)
- 6 apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (from 2 oranges)
- ¾ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon whole dried mustard seeds
- ¼ teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup raisins
Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place cauliflower, onion and garlic on a baking sheet. Bake in oven until brown, about 30 minutes.
- Bring vegetable stock, coconut milk and curry paste to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat.
- Add the roasted vegetables, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Carefully purée the soup in a blender (or use an immersion blender) until it has reached your desired consistency. Top with apple chutney (recipe follows).
- Combine apples, onion, ginger, orange juice, vinegar, brown sugar, mustard seeds, pepper flakes and salt in a large saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to a simmer and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for 50 minutes to an hour, until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the raisins.
- Set aside to cool.
The chutney will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.