Classic Swiss fondue
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine—Riesling or Sauvignon Blanc
- 1/2 pound shredded Emmentaler cheese
- 1 pound shredded Gruyere cheese
- 2 cloves garlic (one chopped and one whole)
- 1 1/4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons Kirschwasser cherry brandy
- pinch freshly grated nutmeg, fresh ground black pepper, salt
- Rub the inside of the fondue pot with whole garlic clove.
- Add wine, pepper, nutmeg and salt and bring to a simmer on the stove over medium heat.
- Gradually add cheeses a handful at a time. Stir continuously until the cheese is completely melted.
- Blend the Kirschwasser with cornstarch; add this mixture to the fondue and stir until creamy. Serve immediately.