Cornmeal Upside-Down Cake
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, plus 2 tablespoons for the pan
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Wild Hive cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup almond paste (do not use marzipan)
- 3 large eggs separated
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- nectarines and blueberries, or any seasonal fruit
Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Cut fruit into slices.
- Beat 2 tablespoons butter and 1/4 cup of the sugar until light and fluffy.
- Spread the butter-and-sugar mixture into a greased 8-inch-round by 3-inch-deep cake pan. Arrange fruit in a radiating pattern on top.
- Whisk together all dry ingredients except sugar and set aside.
- In another bowl, beat 6 tablespoons of butter until smooth; add almond paste and 1 cup sugar. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks and vanilla and almond extracts. Beat until well combined.
- Add flour mixture in two parts, alternating with milk. Begin and end with the flour and beat the mixture until well combined.
- In a clean bowl, beat egg whites until foamy, then sprinkle in remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Beat until soft peaks form.
- Fold 1/3 of the egg-white mixture into batter to lighten it, and then fold in the remaining 2/3 cup. Spread the batter over the fruit.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes at 350F. Test for doneness by inserting at toothpick or butter knife into the center of the cake; if it comes out clean, the cake is done.
Note: Cake must be removed from pan while still warm.