Crispy Local Pig’s Ears
- 8 pigs ears
- 2 white onions, rough chopped
- 2 heads garlic
- 2 jalapeño peppers, halved
- 1 head celery, chopped
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons black pepper corn
- 1 gallon veal stock (may substitute water)
- oil for frying
- Wash and shave ears (or have butcher prepare ears). Drop in boiling water and boil for 3 minutes to remove impurities.
- Place all ingredients except pigs ears in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and add pigs ears. Simmer for 2 hours until completely tender.
- Remove ears and cool. Strain liquid and return to heat. Reduce liquid to thick sauce consistency and reserve.
- Slice pigs ears about 1⁄4 inch thick and fry in oil at 350° F until crisp.
- Use as topping for soups and salads or sprinkled over pork chops with the reduction.