Crunchy Apple Garlic Cake
- 3 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups peeled and diced apples
- 4 cloves garlic, put through press
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- whipped cream with sugar and crystallized ginger for topping
- Using an electric mixer, beat the softened butter, sugar and egg for about 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sift together the cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, baking soda and flour, then add the flour mixture to the butter/egg mixture and continue beating for 1 to 2 more minutes, adding the vanilla during the last minute.
- Put the apples in a separate bowl and toss with the garlic puree, evenly distributing the garlic among the apples.
- Stir the garlic-seasoned apples into the cake batter along with the walnuts. The batter will be fairly stiff, so use a spoon and stir to mix well.
- Using a spatula, spread the batter in a well-greased and floured 8" x 8" x 2" pan. The size of the pan is important to the final texture of the cake.
- Bake in a 350? oven for 45 minutes. Time it-it's impossible to tell when it's done by using a toothpick.
Serve with whipped cream seasoned with a bit of sugar and snippets of crystallized ginger.