- 1 fennel bulb, matchstick cut
- 2 carrots, matchstick cut
- 1 cauliflower head, small florets
- 2 celery stalks, matchstick cut
- 2 Serrano chilis, thinly sliced, with seeds
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, toasted
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon crushed black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano1 cup champagne vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
makes about 1 quart
- Cut all the vegetables into the desired shapes and mix them up evenly.
- Place mixed vegetables into a 1-quart sterilized glass preserve jar with lid.
- Combine all the pickling mix ingredients in a heavy bottom pot and bring to a boil. Pour over the vegetables in the jar.
- Add a few tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil to the mix, secure the lid and shake briefly to distribute. Set the jar aside to cool.
- Cover and keep refrigerated for a few days before serving.