Golden Nugget Squash Soup
- Soups & Stews
- 7 pounds golden nugget squash
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 pound Spanish onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped ginger
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk
- 2 stalks lemongrass, finely chopped and wrapped in a cheesecloth bundle
- 1 teaspoon ground galangal* (or substitute ground ginger)
- 8 cups vegetable stock (or substitute chicken stock)
- salt and pepper to taste
*Galangal is a pungent Asian root related to ginger, commonly used in Thai cuisine. It can be found fresh and dried in Asian markets or online.
Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Cut squash in half, scoop out and discard seeds and strings. Place squash halves cut-side-down on a sheet pan or rimmed cookie sheet.
- Pour water into the pan with the squash and carefully place in oven.
- Cook for approximately 45 minutes, or until a knife passes easily through the squash. Remove from oven and let cool.
- With a large metal spoon, scrape the squash flesh out of the rind. Put the flesh into a large bowl and set aside.
- Heat a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the safflower oil, then the onions, garlic and ginger. Cook until onions are soft.
- Add white wine and continue to cook until the liquid is almost evaporated.
- Add the squash flesh, coconut milk, lemon grass, galangal and stock to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours, stirring frequently.
- Remove lemongrass bundle, season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Blend in batches until smooth.
Serve hot. Top with a dollop of sour cream if desired.