Graham Thumbprint Cookies
- 1/2 cup nonhydrogenated margarine
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar or Sucanat
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 graham crackers (regular, cinnamon or honey-flavored)
- 1-1/3 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and ground cinnamon
- pinch of ground ginger
- fruit preserves
- In a small bowl, cream together the margarine and brown sugar.
- Stir in the beaten egg and whisk together until smooth.
- Place the graham crackers in a food processor. Process until the crackers are finely ground crumbs. There should be 1/2 cup.
- Combine the graham cracker crumbs with the flour in a large mixing bowl. Stir in the baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ground ginger.
- Work the wet mixture into the dry to form a medium-soft dough. Cover the bowl with a piece of plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- With well-floured hands, pinch off pieces of the dough to form 1-inch balls. Arrange them on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Flatten slightly with your palm.
- Make a thumbprint in the center of each cookie, pushing the thumb down almost, but not quite, to the bottom of the cookie. Fill each hole with about 1/2 teaspoon of fruit preserve. For variety, you can use two or three different flavor preserves.
- Bake for 12 minutes at 350F or until the cookies begin to turn golden.
- Remove the cookies from the cookie sheet and set on plates to cool.