Try out Grilled Shrimp with Arugula, Red Onion, and Garlic for Dinner
In this savory dish, shrimp are grilled with garlic, spicy red pepper flakes, and red onion, and served with fresh arugula and crunchy garlic croutons. Make sure not to overcook the shrimp; they’re done when they become translucent and have a little char.
If you don’t have stale bread, you can fake it by putting slices in a low oven (about 200˚F) and letting them dry out for an hour or so. If you want to, you can make the croutons in advance. They will keep in an airtight container for several days and can be re-crisped in the oven if necessary.
2 dozen large shrimp, peeled and deveined
Two ¼” thick slices red onion
1⁄3 cup, plus 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3 tsp thinly sliced garlic
hot red pepper flakes to taste
coarse sea salt or kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 cups stale country or sourdough bread, cut into ¾-inch cubes
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar or to taste
2 bunches arugula (about 7 oz), thick stems removed, roughly chopped
shaved Parmesan cheese for garnish
1. In a large bowl, toss the shrimp with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, 2 teaspoons of the garlic, and the red pepper flakes. Season with a generous pinch of salt and black pepper.
2. Lay the shrimp and red onion on the grill and cook, turning once, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a board or plate, keep warm. Grill the onion slices until cooked through and have a little char on them. Set aside and let cool, then gently break into rings.
3. To make the croutons, place 1 tablespoon of the remaining oil and the butter in a large pan over medium heat. When the oil starts to shimmer and the butter starts to foam, toss in the bread cubes and cook, stirring, until they are browned and toasted, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining teaspoon of garlic, season with salt and black pepper, and cook, stirring, for another 30 seconds. Pour into a strainer or colander and let drain.
4. To make the sauce, in a small bowl season the balsamic vinegar with salt and black pepper. Whisking constantly, drizzle in the remaining 1⁄3 cup of oil.
5. Place the arugula, warm shrimp, and red onion in a large bowl, dress it with the sauce and toss well.
6. To serve, divide the arugula and shrimp among 4 plates. Garnish with the croutons and shaved Parmesan.