Harvest Vegetable Soup
- Soups & Stews
- 3 potatoes, scrubbed, cut into chunks
- 3 carrots, peeled, sliced into thick wheels
- 6 celery stalks, washed, cut into 1-inch pieces (including leaves)
- 1 white turnip, scrubbed, cut into quarters
- 2 parsnip roots, scrubbed, sliced into chunks
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled, cut into eighths
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1 leek, washed, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley (including stems)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 cube vegetable bullion
- 2 cups chicken or beef stock or broth (optional)
- 8 cups water (6 cups with stock)
- Heat oil, salt and oregano in a 4-quart stock pot.
- When oil is hot, add onions, garlic, parsley, peppercorns and bay leaves. Lower heat and simmer until soft.
- Dissolve bullion in 1 cup hot water and slowly add to oil.
- Increase heat and slowly add stock and/or water to mixture. Just before it begins boiling, add potatoes, carrots, parsnip and turnip. Bring to boil briefly, then lower heat and simmer covered for about 30 minutes.
- Add celery and leek and simmer covered another 30 minutes.
Optional: Add pieces of chicken or beef at this point if desired.
Garnish with grated cheddar or Parmesan cheese; serve soup in deep bowls accompanied by hot bread.