The focus of the dish is the mushrooms. Wild mushrooms are best, but any kind will work; a variety of mushrooms mixed together may be used successfully.
- 10 ounces mushrooms, cut into small pieces
- 2 leeks, white part only, small dice
- 1 1/4 cups of cream
- 3/8 cup of milk
- 4 eggs
- A few sprigs of thyme
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Sauté diced leeks in a tablespoon of butter on low heat.
- Add mushrooms and thyme and cook over high heat until tender—about 5 to 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat when done.
- In a separate saucepan, combine cream and milk and bring the mixture almost to a boil. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk whole eggs; slowly pour cream mixture to egg mixture; combine gently.
- Spread mushroom mixture on the bottom of creme brulee dishes (1/2 inch high by 3 inches diameter).
- Pour the egg/cream mixture on top of the mushrooms.
- Bake in a bain marie at 350º F about 35 minutes, or until the flan is firm to the touch.
- Sprinkle chopped parsley on top of the flan. Serve hot or cold in the same dish.