- 12 plum tomatoes
- extra-virgin olive oil
- fresh oregano, chopped
- Cut tomatoes lengthwise and season with salt. Place them on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- Let the tomatoes sit for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 225° F.
- Place the pan with tomatoes in the oven, and dry them for 4 hours.
- Drizzle with olive oil and oregano.
Tomatoes appear throughout chef Robert Horton’s menu at An American Bistro in Tuckahoe. At the market he shops for the richest, ripest plum tomatoes. “You have to look at every tomato in every box to get the right ones,” Horton says. Soft, oven-dried tomatoes are unctuous and intense with greens and fresh mozzarella. A sharply tangy tomato compote (with olives and capers) is a perfect accompaniment to grilled shrimp and angel hair pasta.