Raw Kale Salad
- 6 ounces Toscano or Lacinato kale, stems removed
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- Champagne or white wine vinegar
- extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely grated pecorino Romano cheese, plus more for shaving
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
- Toast pine nuts in a dry skillet over low heat, until slightly browned, about 7 to 8 minutes. Set aside.
- Strip the kale leaves from stems (you can use a knife, but it's easy to do by hand).
- Roll kale leaves into a bundle and chop very fine (chiffonade).
- In a large bowl, combine the strands of kale, pine nuts and raisins.
- Add sea salt and toss with your hands.
- Add vinegar to the salad slowly (just enough to coat ingredients) and toss again. The vinegar will dissolve the salt.
- Slowly add just enough olive oil to coat ingredients; toss again.
- Add finely grated pecorino cheese and toss. Adjust dressing if needed.
To serve, pile salad on a small plate and top with a few shavings of pecorino.