The Village Tea Room mixes organic sparkling lemonade with this syrup and gin to make a Collins. You can also use lime or lemon juice and sparkling water.
- 4 lb rhubarb stalks, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 cups water
- Bring rhubarb, sugar, and water to a boil in a 5- to 6-quart heavy pot, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until rhubarb falls apart, about 15 minutes. 3. Remove from heat and cool 15 minutes.
- Pour mixture into a large fine-mesh sieve set over a large bowl and drain 15 minutes, then press gently on and discard solids.
- Skim off any foam and cool syrup to room temperature.
- Pour syrup into 1 or 2 pitchers and chill, uncovered, until cold, about 2 hours.
Add 3/4 ounce of syrup to 2 1/2 ounces gin in a shaker with ice. Shake well, strain into ice-filled glass. Top with sparkling lemonade.