Sephardic String Bean and Beef Stew
- Soups & Stews
- 3 pounds lean brisket
- 1 clove garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 tiny whole onions or 3 large onions, sliced
- 4 whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon whole allspice
- 2 cups water
- 2 pounds fresh string beans
- Rub the brisket with garlic and season well.
- Brown the meat in the oil and then remove from pot.
- Spread the onions in the pot and replace the brisket along with peppercorns and allspice placed in a cheesecloth bag so they can easily be removed later.
- Add water to cover and simmer covered for 2 hours.
- Let stand until cool; then refrigerate overnight.
- Before serving, skim fat and slice thin.
- Add green beans to meat and simmer about 30 minutes or until beans are tender.
Season and serve.