- 1 orange stuck with 10 cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 3-inch cinnamon stick
- 4 cups water
- 1 bottle burgundy wine
- Sugar to taste (about 1/2 to 1 cup)
- Combine orange, mace, cinnamon stick and water in a saucepan. Simmer over fire embers for one hour.
- Sieve liquid; discard spices and orange.
- Put the syrup back in the pan and add the wine and sugar to taste. Heat through but do not boil.
- Two shot glasses of brandy may be added before serving.
For a festive spiced wine recipe I turned to the handwritten cookbook of Maria Sanders Van Rensselaer (1749–1830). The daughter of Elizabeth Schuyler and Robert Sanders (mayor of Albany from 1750 to 1754), she was a wealthy heiress, and it was her property that mde possible the creation of Cherry Hill, a museum house opens to the public at 523 1/2 Pearl Street in Albany.