Stuffed Squash Boats
- 1 whole large zucchini
- chopped onions, celery, carrots, garlic, ginger
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise. Carefully cut out the marrow (flesh and seeds), leaving about 1/2 inch attached to the skin.
- Cut the squash marrow into 1-inch cubes. Mix with coarsely chopped onion, celery, blanched carrot chunks, parsley and garlic. Season with salt, pepper and your choice of oregano, ginger or other spices. (As an option you can add cooked ground meat, chicken, raisins and/or nuts to the mix.)
- Saute the mixture in light olive oil until thoroughly seasoned and slightly softened.
- Brush the inside of the squash boat with butter, then fill the squash boat with the saute mix.
- Top the boat with grated cheese or bacon and bake at 350º F for 20 minutes.
- Serve whole (spooned from the boat), or slice and serve.