Tomato-Goat Cheese Gratin
- Side dishes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for the dish
- 1 1/4 cups coarse fresh bread crumbs from crusty bread (or unseasoned dried bread crumbs)
- 1 1/2 pounds (about 3) large tomatoes, sliced 1 inch thick
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Grana Padano or Parmesan cheese
Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Oil a 9-inch square or oval gratin dish or casserole.
- Combine the olive oil and the bread crumbs in a small bowl, and set aside.
- Arrange a third of the tomato slices, slightly overlapping, in the prepared gratin dish.
- Season with salt and paper to taste, and sprinkle with one-third each of the goat cheese, bread-crumb mixture, and chives. Repeat with two more layers. Sprinkle the Grana Padano over the top.
- Bake in the middle of the oven until the gratin is bubbly and the crumbs are golden, 15 to 20 minutes.