Tomato Lentil Soup
- Soups & Stews
- 1 cup brown or green lentils
- 3 quarts water (more if desired)
- l large onion, sliced
- 2 large carrots, cut very fine
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 turnip, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bunch of spinach leaves or sorrel
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup tomato sauce (8 ounces)
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup long-grain rice
- pinch of powdered cumin (optional)
- Wash and rinse the lentils and place them in a large soup pot.
- Add the water, the sliced vegetables, and the rest of the ingredients except the salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Lower the flame to medium heat and cook slowly for 1 hour.
- Add the salt and pepper, let the soup simmer for a short while and serve while hot. Remove bay leaf before serving.