Vegetable Pot Pie
- 2 large potatoes, boiled, medium dice
- 1 ½ cups mushrooms, sautéed in a pan with 4 tablespoons of cognac and 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 carrots, diced and blanched
- 1 ½ cups peas
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 cup fresh kale, chopped
- 1 stick (¼ pound) butter
- ½ cup flour
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 4-inch pie shells (homemade or commercial premade)
- egg wash
Preheat oven to 350°F
- Combine potatoes, mushrooms, onions, carrots, peas, celery, spinach and kale in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add flour, stirring frequently until the mixture resembles a thick paste.
- Add the vegetable stock, stirring continuously until the mixture thickens to a gravy-like consistency.
- If the mixture thins slightly, add a little more flour and whisk until combined. Season lightly.
- Pour the mixture over the vegetables in the large bowl and coat. (Reserve a little of the liquid to add to each pie before covering, if desired.)
- Line pie tins with pastry dough.
- Scoop the filling mixture into each pie.
- Carefully stretch the pastry dough over the vegetable-filled pies. Seal and roll edges.
- Brush the top of each pie lightly with egg wash (egg yolk or white beaten with small amount of water or milk). Cut a large slit through the top.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or a little longer if you’re eating the pie right away and don’t intend to reheat it.