Vegetarian Onion Soup
- Soups & Stews
- 2 large Vidalia onions, julienne
- 2 medium red onions, julienne
- 2 medium leeks, chopped
- 2 ounces Canola oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 ounces brandy
- 1 cup vegetable stock, reduced to 1 tablespoon
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns, in a sachet
- 1 quart water
- 1 baguette, 1/2 inch slice on the bias
- 1/4 cup Gruyere cheese, grated
- fresh parsley, for garnish
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Heat large saute pan with canola oil and add the white and red onions.
- As the onions begin to caramelize, turn the heat down to medium and add sugar.
- After 5 minutes, add leeks and continue to cook for 10-15 minutes. If your pan is dry, you can add a little water, but do not add more oil.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the brandy to deglaze the pan.
- Return to medium-high heat until the brandy is reduced by half.
- Transfer all ingredients to a 2-quart stockpot.
- Add water, bay leaf, reduced vegetable stock and sachet of peppercorns.
- Bring to a boil for a minute and reduce to a simmer for about 25 minutes, skimming excess oil with a ladle. Season with salt as necessary.
- Place slices of baguette on a baking sheet and top with Gruyere cheese. Bake until the cheese melts.
- Serve the soup in personal-size soup bowls and place a cheesy baguette on top. Garnish with grated Gruyere and fresh parsley.