Venison Medallions with Juniper Demi-Glace
- 2 pounds venison top round (upper leg meat)
- 1 quart chicken stock (preferably homemade)
- 1/2 cup gin
- 1/4 cup juniper berries, crushed
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon allspice, whole
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 325 ̊F
- In a large saucepan, bring chicken stock to a boil over high heat.
- Add the gin, juniper berries, allspice and cinnamon. Continue to boil over high heat until mixture is reduced to 1 cup.
- Strain sauce through a fine strainer.
- In another saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon of butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook for one minute. While whisking, add strained sauce and cook until thickened.
- Whisk in the remaining tablespoon of butter, remove pan from heat and reserve.
- Cut the venison lengthwise along the grain of the meat into 4 equal portions that are long and skinny. Season generously with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a large, ovenproof sauté pan over high heat and add cooking oil. Place pieces of venison into the pan and cook, turning occasionally, until the pieces are evenly browned.
- Place the pan in the oven and roast until the internal temperature of the venison is 125 ̊F (medium rare).
- When finished, remove pan from oven and let rest 5 minutes.
To serve, slice the meat across the grain into 1/2- to 3/4-inch-thick slices. Serve with sautéed spinach, mashed potatoes and reserved sauce.