Warm Mushroom Salad
- 2 tablespoons finely diced shallots
- 3 tablespoons Spanish sherry vinegar
- 9 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds mixed wild mushrooms (abalone, black trumpets, pioppino, hen-of-the-woods, chanterelles)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 6 ounces mixed bitter greens (frisee, radicchio, dandelion greens)
- 1/4 cup tarragon leaves
- 1/4 cup chervil
- 1/2 cup flat parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- 1/4 cup sliced shallots
- 1/4 pound Pecorino di Grotta
- Kosher salt and pepper
Plate the salad greens and toss with the tarragon, chervil, parsley and chives.
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, diced shallots and a good pinch of salt, and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Whisk in 5 tablespoons olive oil and set aside.
- If the mushrooms are large, cut into 1 1/2 inch to 2-inch pieces.
- In a large saute pan, melt the butter with the remaining olive oil over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and saute until crispy, adding the thyme, and salt and pepper to taste. (If necessary, saute the mushrooms in two batches to allow enough room for them to crisp.)
- When the mushrooms are crisp, toss in the sliced shallots and mix. Spoon the hot mushrooms over the greens.
- Return the pan to the stove and add the vinaigrette to heat it.
- Pour the warm vinaigrette over the greens. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper; add more sherry vinegar if needed.
To serve, shave pecorino over the top.