Butternut squash risotto with grilled radicchio
Chef Jimmy Rugova / Char, Fall 2013 Restaurant Week
1 pound cippolini onions, quartered and roasted
2 butternut squash, cut lengthwise and seeded
1 head radicchio
11 ounces soft goat cheese
4 ounces butter
1 onion, finely chopped
1 pound Arborio rice
1/4 pound dried cranberries
48 ounces chicken (or veal) stock
salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 450 degrees
1. Coat onions with olive oil, salt and pepper. Pan roast onions until soft and sweet.
2. Brush squash with olive oil and roast until soft throughout (about 30 minutes). Spoon out the flesh and puree.
3. Split the radicchio and brush with olive oil. Grill until charred. Cool and julienne into long, thin, shoestring-like strips.
4. In a medium pot, saute onions with butter until soft. Add rice and stir for 1 minute.
5. Gradually add ladles of warm broth and continue stirring until the moisture is absorbed. Repeat until the rice is cooked through.
6. Add squash puree, roasted onions, cranberries, grilled radicchio, goat cheese and a teaspoon of butter. Season with salt and pepper.