Beet Carpaccio Salad, Goat Cheese, Horseradish Vinaigrette
- 1 head frisee
- 1 head radicchio
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- baby mache
- 1 cup horseradish vinaigrette
- 1/2 ounce chive oil
- 2 red beets
- 2 golden beets
- 2 quarts water (for each beet)
- 1 ounce white vinegar (for each beet)
- 1 tablespoon salt (for each beet)
- 4 ounces horseradish
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 12 ounces grapeseed oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco
- 5 cups chives
- 1 cup grapeseed oil
- Place the red beets and the golden beets in separate pots and fill with water, salt and vinegar. Bring them to a simmer and cook until fork tender.
- Let the beets cool and then peel.
- Using a mandolin, shred the red beet with medium blade. Slice the golden beets on the mandolin as thin as possible.
- In a medium sauce pan, reduce the chicken stock to 1 cup. Transfer the stock to a stainless steel bowl. Note: Do not let the stock cool off; you will get better results if it's still hot.
- Using a wire balloon whip, add the grated horseradish to the stock and slowly incorporate the grapeseed oil.
- Adjust the seasoning with Tabasco, salt and pepper.
In a blender, add the chopped chives and the oil together. Puree until smooth.
- In a stainless steel bowl, mix the shredded red beets with the frisee, radicchio; add horseradish vinaigrette, to taste. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Place golden beets in a circle on a plate.
- Place a portion of the red beet salad in the center of the golden beets.
- Cut a 1-ounce piece of warmed goat cheese and place on top of the red beet salad. Dress with mache.
- Drizzle the chive oil around the plate.