Berry Flag Cake
- 6 egg yolks
- 6 egg whites
- 7 1/2 ounces sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- 6 ounces flour
- 1 1/8 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 2 tablespoons hot milk
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 quarts of just picked local strawberries
- 1 quart of blueberries
- 1 quart of whipped cream
- 1 sheet tray sponge cake
Preheat oven to 350ºF
- Prepare 11-inch by 17 1/2-inch cookie sheet with pan spray and parchment paper.
- In a bowl, sift together flour, salt and baking powder.
- In separate bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar until thick and creamy and add vanilla. Add a couple of tablespoons hot water or hot milk to thin batter.
- Add flour mixture gradually to egg mixture.
- In a clean bowl, whip egg whites to stiff, shiny peaks.
- Carefully fold the whites into the yolk/flour mixture in three additions. Spread batter onto cookie sheet.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- In a stand mixer, whip the heavy cream.
- Add sugar and vanilla and beat to stiff peaks.
- Remove the green stems from all the strawberries. Pick out 5 to 10 (depending on how big they are) of the prettiest strawberries and slice them lengthwise (they will form the red stripes of the flag).
- Toss the remaining strawberries into a bowl and sprinkle with a teaspoon of sugar. Macerate for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Slide a knife around the edges of the cooled cake to release. Invert the cake onto a clean piece of parchment paper. Trim any crusty edges with a sharp knife.
- Cut the cake into three even rectangles, each approximately 11" x 5 1/2."
- Spread 1/4 of the whipped cream on the bottom layer and top with 1/2 of the macerated berries and 1/4 cup blueberries.
- Add the next sponge cake layer and repeat step 5.
- Add the third layer to the cake. Use a pastry bag filled with the remaining whipped cream and fitted with an open star tip to pipe a box approximately 4 1/2 inches square in the upper left corner of the cake (this will hold the blueberry "stars."
- Pipe lines lengthwise on the top of the cake, completely covering the surface.
- Place the blueberries in the boxed area and lay the reserved strawberries in lines to create the stripes of the flag.