Bienenstich Cake (Bee Sting Cake)
A classic German cake is a tender and buttery dough layered with a rich vanilla pastry crème and topped with sticky, sweet sliced almonds.
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- 2 ¼ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons yeast
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup water
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 ½ cups milk
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 large egg beaten, room temperature
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 ½ teaspoons cream of tartar
- ¼ cup confectioners' sugar
- Topping: In a medium saucepan, melt butter and honey. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes. Add vanilla and almonds, remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Cake/Dough: Heat oven to 350 degrees. Cut out parchment paper to fit bottom of a 9 inch spring form pan, coat bottom of pan with cooking spray and place in bottom of pan.
- Combine all of the dough ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl, stir until mixture becomes cohesive. Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface, knead for 5-8 minutes until smooth. Place the dough into a lightly oiled bowl, turn and coat all sides with oil, cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 60 minutes. Transfer dough to a lightly oiled surface, fold over and expel any excess gas, roll into a ball, then pat the ball into the spring form pan, spread the topping over the dough in the pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-29 minutes, or until edges are golden brown and topping is bubbling. Remove from oven and let cool for 30 minutes, allow topping to firm up. Run a knife around the edges of the pan to loosen any dough and flip cake over onto a plate, then flip back so the almond topping is up, cool completely before filling.
- Filling: In the top of a double boiler over medium heat, combine cornstarch, milk and ¼ cup sugar, stir constantly until thickened, at least 3 minutes, add in 1 beaten egg and keep stirring constantly for about 2 minutes and very thick. Remove from heat, chill in an ice-water bath, stirring occasionally. Place plistic wrap in direct contact with the surface of pastry cream and refrigerate until cold, at least 1 hour. Whip the cream with the cream of tartar and confectioners' sugar until stiff, add a dollop of this cream to the pastry cream and stir together to lighten the cream, then fold in the remaining whipped cream and refrigerate until you prepare the cake.
- Assembling the cake: Peel off the parchment paper, cut cake in half horizontally and fill with the pastry filling, refrigerate until ready to serve.