Crispy Trout with Sorrel and Macadamia Nut Sauce
- 4 trout fillets (skin on)
- 1 cup macadamia nut (walnuts may be substituted)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped sorrel (basil, mint or cilantro can be substituted)
- salt and cayenne to taste
- fish stock sufficient to produce desired consistency
- flour for dredging
- olive oil
- Pound nuts with the garlic, salt and cayenne to a paste consistency.
- Blend in the onion, vinegar, sorrel and fish broth until thick and creamy.
- Dredge each fillet in a small amount of salted flour.
- Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil to a large sauté pan, turn heat and place the prepared fillets skin-side down onto the hot pan. Sauté for 3 to 4 minutes on first side.
- When the color is rich and golden, flip the fillets to the second side. Cook about 1 additional minute, then remove to a plate lined with paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Place the fish skin-side down onto plate.
- Spoon the sauce down the middle of each fillet.
Garnish with fresh sorrel.