German Potato Soup
- Soups & Stews
- 1/2 pound smoked bacon, chopped
- 1 stick butter
- 1 dozen Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, diced
- 6 carrots, diced
- 2 leeks, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 head celery root, diced
- 2 Vidalia onions, diced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups Half-and-Half
- 1 cup water
- chopped parsley and marjoram
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fry the chopped bacon in a deep pan until crispy. Remove a small amount of the bacon to use as a garnish and set aside.
- Add the butter to the bacon pan, then add the diced potatoes, carrots, leeks, celery, celery root and onion and sauté until tender.
- Add flour and stir until smooth.
- Stir in chicken broth, Half & Half and water. Mix thoroughly—make sure there are no lumps.
- Toss a little chopped parsley and marjoram into the soup. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer 30 minutes.
Garnish with bits of the crispy bacon and more chopped parsley.