Grilled Japanese Eggplant and Buttered Swiss Chard Tacos
- 5 Japanese eggplants
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, stems removed, roughly chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes (heirloom preferred)
- 2 jalapeño peppers
- 1 cup lentils
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 corn tortillas
- salt to taste
Cut eggplants in half lengthwise, score with diagonal cuts and sprinkle with salt. Let sit for about 30 minutes.
- Wipe eggplants with a moist with paper towel to remove the excess moisture.
- Brush with oil and grill over medium-high heat on a griddle or in a cast iron pan 4 to 5 minutes per side.
- When cooked, remove from heat and cut the halves into 1-inch-thick pieces.
Place whole tomatoes and jalepeños on an oiled griddle and grill 30 minutes, turning constantly until evenly charred. Pulse all in a blender to create a thick salsa. Season with salt to taste.
Place lentils in a small pot with 4 cups hot water. Season with salt and simmer 20 minutes.
Place chopped Swiss chard leaves into a non-stick pan. Add butter and cook over medium-high heat until wilted. Season with salt to taste. Remove leaves from pan, reserve the cooking liquid.
- Heat tortillas in a non-stick pan over medium-high heat until soft, constantly turning so they will warm evenly.
- Place the tortilla shell on a plate and spread one tablespoon each of the lentils, salsa, eggplant and Swiss chard. Spoon some of the Swiss chard cooking liquid on top.