- 2 quarts whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- additional equipment: a large sieve, fine-mesh cheesecloth and a bowl to collect whey
- Line the sieve with a layer of cheesecloth and place it over a large bowl.
- In a 6-quart heavy pot over moderate heat, slowly bring milk, cream and salt to just below boiling. Stir to prevent scorching.
- Add lemon juice and reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring constantly, until the mixture curdles, about 2 minutes.
- Let sit until there is a complete separation, about 30 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into the lined sieve and let it drain 1 hour. (Save the whey for either pickling or baking.)
- Chill the ricotta, covered.
Ricotta will keep in the refrigerator 2 days.