Honey Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup honey
- 12 egg yolks
- pinch salt
makes 1 quart
- In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and 1/2 cup of honey.
- In a saucepan, combine cream, milk, the remaining 1/2 cup honey and salt and heat to a boil.
- Slowly stream the hot cream mixture into the yolks, whisking constantly.
- Return the warm egg mixture to the sauce pan.
- Cook the mixture over low heat while stirring with a wooden spoon. When the mixture thickens so that it coats the back of the spoon, remove it from the heat.
- Strain the mixture into your ice cream container and cool over an ice bath. Hint: Store the ice cream base in the refrigerator overnight to allow the mixture to increase in flavor.
- Once cooled, process the mixture according to your ice cream machine's instructions.