- 4 pounds lamb, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 pound pancetta
- 1 1/4 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/8 ounce chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 onion
- 1/2 stalk celery
- 1/4 ounce garlic
- 1/4 carrot, minced
- 6 cups canned, crushed plum tomatoes
- 3 1/4 ounces heavy cream
- In a meat grinder, grind the pancetta.
- Mix lamb, pancetta, salt, sugar, fennel seeds, chili flakes and rosemary.
- Using the meat grinder, grind all the vegetables including the garlic and keep separated from the meat.
- In a large stock pot, brown the lamb mixture with olive oil. Keep stirring the meat to avoid large chunks. Drain the fat as the lamb browns.
- When all the meat is brown, add the vegetables and cook for about ten minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer for at least 1 hour.
- When the lamb is tender add the heavy cream and remove from heat.