Pasta Alla Genovese
- 6 pounds onions, peeled, blanched, julienned as thin as possible
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 pound veal shanks
- 1/2 rack pork ribs
- 8 ounces pork skin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- Parmigiano Reggiano (2 to 4 years old)
- Place olive oil in sauce pot on medium high heat. Sear veal and pork until brown.
- Add tomato paste and lower heat to just below medium.
- Cook tomato paste until it begins to darken. then add white wine and cook until tomato paste thickens.
- Add onions, garlic and remaining ingredients and cook covered over low to medium heat until the onions have melted into the sauce. The sauce should be thick and orange with no visible onions.
- Remove all bones from sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Sliced cherry tomatoes and Parmigiano Reggiano may be added right before plating the dish.
Serve with large extruded noodles such as paccheri or rigatoni. (For paccheri, serve eight noodles per person.)