Pepernoten (Spiced Nuts)
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, and anise or caraway seed
- 1/2 cup minced candied citron
- 2 1/2 eggs, beaten (In a bowl beat two eggs. Break an egg in another small bowl and beat with a fork until loose, then add half of this egg to the other two.)
Preheat oven to 350º F.
- In a food processor, combine all the ingredients except the eggs, and pulse briefly to combine.
- Pour in the beaten eggs a little at a time to make a stiff dough (you might not need every bit of the eggs, depending on their size).
- Make small balls of dough about the size of a hazelnut and place them on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 350º F about 15 minutes or until light brown.
- Remove to a rack and cool.