Pork and Chestnut Stew
- Soups & Stews
- 2 pounds Heather Ridge pork kabobs (or boneless pork), cubed
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 sprigs parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig thyme (or a teaspoon dried)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lard
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups liquid, preferably pork or chicken stock
- 1 pound chestnuts
- 1 pound button mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon dark honey
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound white pearl onions
- salt and pepper to taste
- Marinate the pork for 3 to 4 hours (or overnight) in red wine with onion, parsley, bay leaf, thyme and garlic.
- Remove pork from the marinade and pat with paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Strain the marinade.
- Melt lard in a large pan and brown the pork pieces on all sides. Put pork into a large pot or casserole.
- Add flour to the fat left in the frying pan and stir well until the flour turns light brown. Add the stock and stir to combine.
- Add the stock-and-flour mixture to the large pot with the pork, along with the chopped onions, carrot and garlic. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer 2 hours, until almost tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare the chestnuts: Cut an "X" on the side of each chestnut with a sharp knife. Boil them in water for about 15 minutes. Scoop them out; while they are still warm, peel off the shell and skin.
- After pork has simmered 2 hours, add the peeled chestnuts and simmer another half hour.
- Melt the tablespoon of butter gently until it turns brown and the foam subsides. Saute the mushrooms in the butter and set aside.
- Prepare the pearl onions: Drop them in boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes so the skins peel off easily. Once peeled, put them in a pan half-filled with water and simmer 10 minutes, or until tender; set aside.
- Strain the liquid off the pork, chestnuts, onions and carrots. Discard the carrots.
- Return the liquid to the pot and bring to a slow simmer; skim off any oil that rises to the top.
- Slowly stir in honey, then return the pork and chestnuts to the pot and add the mushrooms and pearl onions. Simmer for 15 minutes; salt and pepper to taste.