Roasted Garlic Soup
- Soups & Stews
- 1 pound Spanish onions, diced
- 3 cups peeled garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup light olive oil
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley leaves, cleaned well
- 1 cup dry sherry
- 3 quarts chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, heated (see tip below)
- 10 slices white bread, crusts removed and diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- salt, black pepper and Sriracha hot sauce to taste
- Heat an 8-quart or larger stock pot over medium heat. Add the oil until hot, then add onions and garlic. Sweat the vegetables for 30 to 40 minutes--until the garlic is very soft and has a golden brown color.
- Turn the heat to high and add the sherry. Cook until the sherry has almost completely evaporated, then add the stock and bring to boil.
- Add the cream and simmer for 20 minutes. Tip: Bring the cream to boil in a separate saucepan. If the cream is almost bad, it will curdle when boiled. If you boil it separately and it is spoiled, you won't have to throw the whole soup out.
- Remove from heat and mix in the bread and parsley, and let cool slightly. Blend the soup in batches, never filling the blender more than half way, and return the puréed soup to the pot.
- Add the honey, hot sauce, salt and pepper to taste.
- Reheat and serve with crusty French bread.