4 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 lb. calamari, cut into rings
¼ cup white wine
3 cups tomato sauce
1 cup seafood or shrimp stock
2 oz. heavy cream
15 oz. (or box) tagliatelle pasta or any other ribbon style pasta
1 lb. medium-sized shrimp, peeled and deveined
½ lb. bay scallops
¼ cup fresh basil, chopped, plus whole leaves for garnish
Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan over medium heat, add olive oil and the to sizzle, add the calamari. Sauté, stirring, until the garlic is golden brown and the calamari begins to cook. Add white wine and simmer until reduced by half.
- Add the tomato sauce, seafood stock, heavy cream, salt and pepper to taste and simmer on medium heat, about 3 minutes.
- Add pasta to the boiling water and cook until al dente.
- Add shrimp and scallops to the sauce and cook through over medium heat, 2–3 minutes. Stir in the chopped basil.
- Drain pasta, reserving about a cup of the pasta water. Add the pasta to the sauce and toss well. If the sauce seems a bit dry, add a splash or two of pasta water. Season to taste, garnish with basil leaves and serve immediately.