Smoked Butternut Squash Soup
- Soups & Stews
1 large butternut squash, sliced in half lengthwise
3 oz. unsalted butter
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 quart milk
1 pint heavy cream
Salt and pepper to taste
Fried sage, chopped chives and toasted pepitas for garnish, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat the squash with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the butternut squash open side up in a roasting pan.
- Add 1 quart of water to the bottom of the pan and place in the oven. Bake 1 hour, or until the squash is tender.
- Remove squash from the oven and let cool. Peel and cut into 1″ chunks. Strain the water from the roasting pan and reserve 2 cups for the soup.
- Heat a heavy-bottomed soup pot over medium-high heat. Add butter and cook until golden and aromatic, about 1 minute. Add onion and garlic to pan and sweat until onion turns translucent, about 6 minutes.
- Add squash and continue to cook for another minute. Add milk, cream, and reserved water from roasting pan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer and continue to cook for 30 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, purée soup until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste and garnish.