Spiced Red Wine (Bisscopswijn)
- 1 bottle full-bodied wine (Shiraz or Merlot)
- 10 cloves
- 1 orange, very well scrubbed
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 blade whole mace, or 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- sugar to taste
- Stick the cloves into the orange evenly all around.
- In a saucepan, combine the prepared orange, wine, cinnamon sticks and mace.
- Heat the mixture to a simmer (never allow to boil!); cover and simmer on very low heat 1 hour. Sample while cooking--add sugar to taste as needed.
- Remove orange and pour the liquid through a sieve into a bowl or carafe. (The orange can be pressed and its juice may be added to the wine if you wish.)