Tuna and White Bean Salad
- 8 ounces fresh tuna
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups cooked (or rinsed and drained canned) white beans
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 12 cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped pitted green or black olives
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 4 cups mixed salad greens
- Start a charcoal or wood fire or preheat a gas grill; the rack should be about 4 inches from the heat source.
- Brush fish with olive oil; season with salt and pepper.
- When the fire is quite hot, grill (or broil) the fish 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until just cooked.
- Allow tuna to cool, then cut it into small cubes.
- Toss the tuna cubes with the beans, lemon juice and remaining olive oil, then add the tomatoes, shallots, olives and herbs. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Mound the salad greens on serving plates and distribute the tuna salad over top.