Vegan Chickpea, Barley & Mushroom Soup
- 2 tablespoons Canola oil
- 2 cups white onion, diced
- 1 cup carrot, 1⁄4-inch dice
- ½ cup celery, diced (include leafy centers and tops)
- 2 pounds button mushrooms, thin slice
- 1 clove fresh garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 14-ounce cans chickpeas or garbanzos, drained and rinsed (save the liquid for vegan meringue)
- 4 cups vegetable stock (or use low-sodium chicken stock for non-vegan version)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup pearled barley
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in stock pot or Dutch oven. Add onions, celery and carrots and sauté over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add mushrooms and thyme and continue to sauté until most of the water has been purged from the mushrooms, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the drained, rinsed chickpeas to the pot, then immediately add vegetable stock and heat through. Scrape up any bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Add the water and barley and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat cover and simmer 20 to 30 minutes, until the barley has taken up liquid and softened.