- 1 bunch watercress
- 1/4 cup dashi (bonito fish stock)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or ponzu (citrus soy sauce)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Katsuobushi (dried bonito flakes) for garnish
- In a small bowl, mix dashi, soy sauce (or ponzu) and sugar.
- In a large pot, boil water. Add watercress to blanch 15 to 30 seconds. Remove pot from heat and drain water. Shock watercress with cold running water to cool, and squeeze excess water out.
- Once cool, cut watercress into bite-size pieces and place in a bowl.
- Add dashi sauce—mix well.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of katsuobushi (dried bonito flakes).