Whitecliff Winery Rainbow Trout Fish Tacos
This is a simple whole-fish grilling technique that allows you to have beautiful large chunks of sweet trout for your tacos.
- Whole fresh rainbow trout, cleaned and gutted
- juice of 3 limes
- salt and pepper to taste
- onion, sliced
- lemon wedges
- flour tortillas
- Place whole gutted trout in a large glass or stainless steel pan. Cut limes in half and squeeze juice over the fish, refrigerate and marinate for 1 hour.
- Heat a charcoal or gas grill to high.
- Wrap tortillas in foil and warm in 250º oven.
- Remove fish from the marinade, pat dry.
- Season inside of fish with salt and pepper. Stuff the cavity with onion, lemon wedges and a few pats of butter.
- Make four slices in the skin on each side and insert lemon slices.
- Wrap the whole fish in foil and place on medium hot grill. Cook 10 to 12 minutes per side for a 3- to 4-pound fish. Remove when internal temperature reaches 140º F.
- Place the trout on a cutting board and remove skin. Remove the bones (they should come out as one piece), leaving two fillets.
- Shred the meat with two forks.
- Remove tortillas from the oven.
- Place two tortillas partially overlapping on a large plate.
- Place four heaping tablespoons of the shredded fish in the center of the tortillas.
Serve with a spicy tomato salsa, a zesty lemon mayonnaise or a simple sour cream dill sauce. Enjoy with Whitecliff Chardonnay, Awosting White or Traminette.